Way back at the beginning of 2015, Kim Sears caused quite the controversy when she dared speak some ‘rude words’ at the Australian Open. People who seemed to forget that the Australian Open is about tennis and not about what words people in the crowd are using decided to spend an awful lot of time talking about Ms Sears’s foul mouth.
And she responded brilliantly, and I fell a little bit in love with her.
So, here, dear reader, is my Parental Advisory: Explicit Content notice for you:
- I am an adult woman.
- I am, just as the tagline tells you, a redefined Southern woman.
- I am a feminist.
- I am my own person.
- I will talk about what it’s like to be a woman.
- I will talk about politics and religion and current events and my particular views.
- I very well might talk about sex.
- And I will, most certainly, use ‘foul language’.
If you are incredibly genteel, or my parents, or my parents’ friends, you might want to look away.
Otherwise, I hope you’ll stick with me, and put up with my choosing my own words and my own ways of expressing myself. Because what I really hope – what I really, really hope – is that one day, something I say might resonate with you and make your day a little bit better.